On completion of this unit you should be able to:
- Describe the principles of food safety identifying the role of bacteria and non bacterial agents.
- Describe the production of safe food in relation to the prevention of food poisoning, food borne illness and contamination by physical and allergenic materials.
- Explain the rationale behind food safety management systems based on the principles of HACCP and the role of current hygiene legislation.
- Explain the need for satisfactory design, construction and maintenance of food premises and equipment and the benefits of effective cleaning and disinfection.
- Explain the principles involved in the preservation and safe storage of food.
The achievement of this unit will allow candidates to apply to REHIS for an Intermediate Food hygiene certificate.
Candidates must have successfully completed one or more of the following within the last 5 years:
- Elementary Food Hygiene,
- Standard Grade Home Economics or equivalent National 5 Hospitality or Food and Health.
It is also necessary for candidates to have good IT skills. Experience of working in the industry would be an advantage but not essential.
The course will run over five weeks, with weekly live workshops (90 minutes each time) and weekly assessments.
5 x 30 minute short response assessments. Candidates need to achieve 60% in each assessment and overall.
Assessments will take place in college under exam conditions.
Outcome 1 and 2 assessments will be sat on the same day (1 hour)
Outcome 3 on 1 day (35 minutes)
Outcome 4 and 5 will be sat on the same day (1 hour)
The achievement of this unit will allow candidates to apply to REHIS for an Intermediate food hygiene certificate.
What you Need...
You will need a laptop or PC with integrated microphone and camera, since the course will use Microsoft TEAMS for delivery.